Known colloquially as simply “Philly” and literally translating to “the city of brotherly love” in the Greek language, the city of Philadelphia is the ideal setting for a romantic rendezvous. After all, any city named after the emotion of love will surely have plenty of romantic spots to offer a couple celebrating Valentines in 2019. The following are a few of the most Valentine’s Date worthy locations to visit in Philadelphia:
One Liberty Observation Deck
Imagine watching the sunset over the beautiful city of Philadelphia from a 360-degree observation deck, located 57 floors above the heart of downtown Philadelphia. That’s exactly what you can do at One Liberty Place Observation Deck, which is known by locals as one of the most iconic buildings in all of Philly. As an additional bonus, if you don’t know much about the city itself, you can learn all about its history as you make your way to the top of the observation tower. The tower even hosts a romantic themed event called Love Above Philly Event. When you attend this, you get to take in the breathtaking view while enjoying treats from Grace Winery, Di Bruno Bars, and Godiva.
- A larger-than-life statue of Philadelphia icon, Benjamin Franklin.
- A video informing you of various historic elements of Philadelphia as you ride the state-of-art elevator to the 57th floor.
- Amazing views that include picturesque views of various Philadelphia icons including the Comcast Center, University City, the stadium complex, the Benjamin Franklin Bridge, the Benjamin Franklin Parkway and the City Hall. On a particularly clear day, guests have been able to see all the way to New Jersey.
Tips for Visiting the One Liberty Observation Deck:
- Use public transportation to travel to the deck to avoid dealing with parking issues. Broad Street Line and Market Frankford Lines both have stops within close walking distance of One Liberty Place.
- Check the weather. Although you ideally want clear weather to enjoy the view, don’t let rain deter your visit as it can add an element of drama to photos.
- In general, expect to stay from 30-45 minutes.
- Check the free tour schedule time if interested in learning more about Philly.
Best Restaurants Near One Liberty Observation Deck:
- Davio’s: This is an Italian, American steakhouse, perfect for a romantic dinner and conveniently located less than mile from One Liberty Observation Deck.
- R2L: Keep your appreciation of the Philly view going by enjoying dinner with a view at R2L.This restaurant offers private dining and comes complete with breathtaking views of the city you can enjoy while dining.
Philadelphia Museum of Art
With more than 240,000 objects on display, representing more than two thousand years of human artistic endeavors throughout America, Latin America, Europe and Asia, the Philadelphia Museum of Art is a great option for your Valentine’s Date in Philadelphia. Recreate your own “Thomas Crown Affair” scene, without the crime, obviously.
- Vincent van Gogh’s Vase with Twelve Sunflowers 1889
- Marcel Duchamp’s La sonate (Sonata) from 1911
- Paul Cezanne’s The Bathers 1898-1905
- Claude Monet’s Water Lilies and Japanese Bridge 1887
- Pierre-August Renoir’s The Large Bathers 1887
- Claude Monet’s Poplars (Autumn) 1891
- Pablo Picasso’s Nous autres musiciens (Three Musicians) 1921
Tips For Visiting the Museum
- When carrying large bags and backpacks, know they will be checked. You will be unable to carry them through the exhibits.
- The museum offers free WiFi.
- The museum provides free podcasts in audio version to enhance your visit, through self-guided tours and lectures.
- No flash photography in the museum.
Best Restaurants Near The Museum of Art in Philadelphia
- Rose Tattoo Café: This American Bistro is conveniently located in the historic Art Museum area. It has a romantic ambiance enhanced by plants and flowers, surrounding a beautiful balcony. Due to its environment, this little bistro has been awarded the Best Romantic Restaurant for the past three years.
- DuJour Café & Bar: Located with the Commerce Square Courtyard, the DuJour Café & Bar provides romantic seating for couples alongside the nearby gardens and fountains. The casual atmosphere means you don’t have to be dressed to the nines, yet the high class of the restaurant will still make you feel special.
There is something immensely romantic about flowers, and the Longwood Gardens gives you an opportunity to enjoy the beauty and scents associated with an immaculately landscaped garden this Valentine’s Day. These 1,077 acres of grounds, which are both indoor and outdoor will provide a wide array of aesthetic enjoyment.
- Italian Water Garden: Enjoy the concentrated collection of coordinated water fountains designed by Pierre S. du Pont.
- Bonsai Display: Everyone appreciates the beauty of the bonsai and the discipline it takes to care for these plants. Don’ miss the miniature forest gallery showing off some amazing bonsai plants.
- Topiary Garden: In this whimsical corner of the gardens, notice the shrubbery trimmed in playful themes and shapes.
- Small and Large Lake: The rolling green lawns and landscapes were inspired by the classic parks in England. They are the ideal location for a romantic stroll.
- Exhibition Hall: This is considered by many as the centerpiece of the 1921 Conservatory.
- Birdhouse: Enjoy a wonderful view of the surrounding scenery from the tall tree house situated in a natural landscape.
Tips for Visiting Longwood Gardens
- Check the garden’s calendar of events to see what is planned on your visit date.
- Also, access their site, to see what plants/flowers are currently in bloom.
- Bring bug spray (if desired), sunscreen, hat, and water.
- Wear weather appropriate attire as you will be both in and out of conditioned spaces. Also remember to wear comfortable shoes, appropriate for walking.
- Guests typically spend between 3.5 to 4 hours enjoying all Longwood Gardens has to offer.
Best Restaurants Near Longwood Gardens
- 1906: Dine right on the grounds at the restaurant named in honor of the year Pierre S. du Pont purchased the grounds which were later developed into Longwood Gardens. The restaurant, which does require a Longwood Garden ticket for entry, offers American, Vegan and Vegetarian friendly dining options.
- Portabellos: Conveniently located in Kennett square, this Philly restaurant features “new American cuisine with international overtones.” Their menu is constantly changing, drawing inspiration from various county growers and seafood from the mid-Atlanta region. This is an open kitchen environment, which means you can watch Chef Brett Hulbert as he and his team work to create your delicious meal.
Getting in: Longwood Garden tickets are included with The Philadelphia Pass.
Blue Cross RiverRink: Winterfest
This seasonal winter park, situated on the Delaware River Waterfront, could not a be more romantic setting. The fairytale landscape, ethereal lighting, world-class ice-skating rink, romantic warming cabins and fire pits make the Blue Cross RiverRink the perfect setting for a Valentine’s Day to remember for a lifetime.
- Views of the Ben Franklin Bridge as you glide around the rink.
- The ideal Philly winter experience.
- Your Philadelphia Pass allows you admission to the rink along with ice skate rentals.
- Each warming cabin features rustic furnishing, heaters, chandeliers, and an electric fireplace.
- Additional seating available in the Lodge, which also features salvaged mantles from the history Divine Lorrain Hotel.
- Linked sound system in the ice-skating rink, fire pit area, lodge and skate rental zone provide the perfect romantic setting and are ideal for a proposal opportunity should the need arise.
Tips For Visiting Blue Cross RiverRink
- Come after dark to enjoy the spectacular lights, which include 100,000 plus lights.
- Dress weather appropriately.
Best Restaurants Near Blue Cross RiverRink
- La Famiglia Ristorante: Known as Philadelphia’s best Italian restaurant, this fine dining experience is the ideal date night finale. This beautiful, old world restaurant boasts a private wine cellar, dance floor and stunning banquet room.
- City Tavern Restaurant: This historic restaurant makes an interesting option for dinner. The City Tavern provides guests with custom foods, inspired by 18th century Colonial America. Each guest is treated to a historical dining experience unlike anything they have likely experienced before.
Getting in: Blue Cross RiverRink tickets are included with The Philadelphia Pass.
These are just a few of the many options you and your date can enjoy in the romantic city of Philadelphia this Valentine’s Day.
Remember to Save on Attraction Admission
So there’s our list of the romantic things to do in Philadelphia for Valentine’s Day 2019 (or any day, really).
Remember, many of these options are included on The Philadelphia Pass, where you can save up to 55% on combined admission vs. paying at the gate.
We hope you plan to add a few of these fun options to your winter vacation itinerary!
Easy Related Posts
Fun Things to do in Philadelphia - The Ultimate Tourist Guide for Your Trip
The ultimate family visitor's guide to fun things to do in Philadelphia. Experience many of the ...read more
Things to Do in Philadelphia in Winter 2018 - December & January 2019 Activities & More
Bundle up and check out these popular things to do in Philadelphia in the winter. Make ...read more
Things to Do in Philadelphia in Fall 2018 – Attractions, Activities, & More
Looking for the BEST things to do in Philadelphia in fall? There's something for everyone ...read more
Things to do for Labor Day & September 2018 in Philadelphia
Heading to Philly and looking for things to do this September and Labor Day weekend? ...read more